This page has moved to a new address.

Furoshiki is not a swear word...A guest blog post

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration: Furoshiki is not a swear word...A guest blog post

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration

Thursday 16 June 2011

Furoshiki is not a swear word...A guest blog post

Guest Blogger - Angela of Three Buttons

I was so thrilled when Angela agreed to write a post for my little ol' blog. If you haven't visited her blog Three Buttons yet, you are in for a visual treat. Angela visited Japan a little while back and has given me a heap of suggestion for places to visit whilst I'm here.
Take it away Angela...

There are two things that make me envy Cinti, one, is that she is holidaying in Japan right now and two, is her clever use of repurposing vintage fabrics to make some pretty awesome designs. When Cinti asked me to write a guest post I thought about these two things and thought of keeping to a Japan and sustainable theme that's when I came up with the idea to introducing you to the Furoshiki.

A Furoshiki is an eco-friendly traditional Japanese wrapping cloth made from a square piece of fabric. Using techniques similar to origami it is used for gift wrapping, as a shopping bag as well as other functional uses. There has been a renewed interest in the Furoshiki in recent years with the Japanese government encouraging it's use in a bid to help reduce the use of plastic bags and wasted wrapping paper.

It's pretty easy to make your own patchwork Furoshiki using some scrap fabrics. I highly recommend using Mairuru's easy to follow tutorial if you are feeling inspired to make one yourself. Careful though, your Furoshiki might outshine your gift! Happy eco wrapping!

Image credits: one - found via Snoop Blog

Image two - made by me using Mairuru's tutorial

Image three - via Non disposable life blog

Labels: ,