This page has moved to a new address.

How to: Make Perfect Button Holes

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration: How to: Make Perfect Button Holes

My Poppet : your weekly dose of crafty inspiration

Wednesday 17 October 2012

How to: Make Perfect Button Holes

Ok, put your hand up if you dread sewing buttonholes. Most sewing machines have a either a manual or automatic buttonhole setting that can make your life a whole lot easier.

My old machine had a manual 4 step buttonhole, which meant I had to manually change the settings between each stage. It was simple to use, but getting a consistently sized buttonhole was difficult.

Now my new machine has an Automatic buttonhole setting which uses a special buttonhole foot to measure the size of the buttons and makes a perfect buttonhole every time. I recently made a duvet cover with a button closures (will share a How To soon), and fell in love with this little contraption.
It looks a little complicated, but once you see how it works, you'll love using it too.
I've created a video to explain how to use it.


Yours may look slightly different, but the theory behind how it works should be the same.
I've made a little video so you can see the automatic buttonhole foot in action.  It's really quite a nifty little accessory. There are also some tips on how to cut your button hole.

How to use and Automatic Buttonhole Foot



How easy was that? Now you can create consistent and perfectly sized button holes every time.
 Are you intimidated by all the accessories in your sewing machine came with?

Labels: , , ,